This is my Mom's recipe for homemade meat lasagna. She taught me to make this a long time ago and it is one of my favorite meals to prepare. Figure on spending about 2 hours total on this dish. I've found that you can make 2 of them in about the same time as one, so I usually do.
Homemade Meat Lasagna
9 Servings per pan
|1||jar of pasta sauce (I prefer Prego)|
|1||lb. of ground beef|
|8||oz. mozarella cheese (I prefer PollyO)|
|16||oz. ricotta cheese|
|Parmesan/Romano Cheese (optional)|
Slice the mozzarella cheese into thin slices using a cheese slicer.
Boil the lasagna noodles in a very large pot. You'll need 9 noodles per pan. I usually prepare a dozen in case some of them rip. That way I can be sure to use whole noodles. Once the noodles are cooked, run cool water through the pot until it is safe enough that you can pull the noodles out of the pot with your hands. You don't want to burn yourself.
While the Noodles are cooking, brown the pound of ground beef in a large skillet. You'll want to remove the cooked meat with a spoon with holes so that most of the fat will not go in the lasagna.
Once you have all the ingredients prepared, you are ready to construct the lasagna. The images above show this process step-by-step:
- Pour a thin coating of sauce into the non-stick lasagna pan.
- Now, add a layer of noodles.
- On top of the noodles, you'll want to add half the ricotta cheese, a layer of mozzarella, half the meat, and some more sauce.
- Repeat Step 2.
- Repeat Step 3.
- Repeat Step 2.
- Now, add some more sauce, and top it with some more mozzarella cheese.
- Cover the pan with foil. Be sure to use the shiny side of the foil on the inside.
- Bake the lasagna at 350 degrees covered for one hour.
- Allow the lasagna to coo
Cost: $12-$15 per pan depending on quality of ingredients.
Prep Time: 2 Hours; one of prep and one to bake